Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Inspired by Bugs?!

Audra, if you are here, don't look!

I created this card for my friend Audra's daughter, Brooke. Brooke's first birthday in on March 1st!

This card was created without any stamping....gasp! Yes, it can be done! It is a ladybug...made with card stock, brads, vellum, embossing powder and some dazzling diamonds.

The idea for this card came from my friend, Kristal. She made one similar to it for my son, Noah, for his first birthday. I can't believe that was almost 5 years ago!

I first cut a black circle and a red circle using my coluzzle. I then punched some black circles with my smallest circle punch. One circle was for the head, and the rest were for the back of the ladybug.

Next I cut the vellum wings by hand. I have to say...my original ladybug didn't have the vellum wings...but I have had the unfortunate opportunity to see far more ladybug anatomy than I ever wanted to, lately. We seem to have ladybugs living in our house....somewhere....I don't know where. They were here in the fall....but somehow a few stragglers have survived even through the winter. Every few days, we find a straggler. So, I knew that they have clear wings that fold in on their backs! Yuck...

Anywho, back to my card.

I used a brad to fasten together all of the components of the card, so that the wings can still pivot. I then embossed the head with clear embossing powder, to make it shine. A couple of black brads make some beady looking eyes.

A sprinkle of dazzling diamonds (Stampin' Up) in the centers of the flowers on the vellum, and the lady bug was complete.



The wings separate to reveal the birthday message to little Brooke!

No comments: